Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dad Day #10

Dad day is my own personal holiday. It's the anniversary of his death, April 24, 1999. I've taken off work on most of these days. Last year I worked and it was ok. I didn't fall to pieces or anything, but this year has been different. I've been on the verge of tears at the drop of a hat for weeks now. I don't think that is entirely because of dad. Partly, for those who know me well, I'm a squall-bag. Partly stress...who knows. Anyways...this one was particularly good and needed.

This year marked 10 years since my life turned in a direction I never saw coming. I've missed him so much and so many things have happened. The first grandson, a wedding, the first granddaughter, a house built, another house built, and the second granddaughter.

Dad was terrific. Although we made fun of him so much. (Really, hasn't every kid done that? It's scary to think that is how our child will treat us.) Dad was the most sincere Christian I ever knew. He was certainly not without flaws, but was open and honest and willing to conform to Christ. Dad was an adventurer. Hiking, climbing, skydiving. I'm not sure there was anything he wouldn't try.

Naturally, some days are better than others, but there are times when I miss him so much it hurts. A strange feeling overcomes me that feels like an eternity has passed and yet at the same time, it was yesterday. I do know that we will see each other again, and I look forward to that day. Until then, I'll live in a way that hopefully he would have been proud of, and pass on his stories and lessons to my own family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally know how you feel. my mom passed away 3 years ago.
Paula

Jamie said...

I am sorry friend! I am glad you had a good daddy that you can carry on his Legacy! I love ya!